Tuesday 11 March 2014

Update (I'm still here!)

Ok, so it looks like I've been a little slack on this blog lately.
The reason is a monster has taken over my lounge room! . . . kind of.
I started building a dollhouse in January of last year and it has slowly spread itself all over the house. And it's still not finished. When it is it will look something like this :

Garfield house by Greenleaf

Except mine won't be that perfect or those colours. Anyway my family gave me an ultimatum "Finish the dollhouse or get rid of it!" So, at the moment sewing has had to be put aside in favour of finishing the dollhouse of my dreams. While I'm on the subject of dollhouses, if you ever think about building a dollhouse first ask yourself what you would rather have sanity, money or a dollhouse. If the answer isn't a dollhouse, don't build a dollhouse.

Anyway I am working on a dress, it's based on this one from the LACMA:


There have been a couple of issues with it. Firstly I changed the way I was attaching the cuffs, halfway through making it and then the sleeves wouldn't fit over the doll's hands. Secondly at the waistline there are triangular areas of smocking on the skirt. I thought "That can't be too hard!" but it turned out that for someone that knows nothing about smocking, it kind of is. Especially if you want it to look good. So I'm pretty sure my final version won't have the smocking.

Anyway, I just have the skirt and the big bow in back left to do and it's finished. So hopefully sometime in the next week and a half I'll manage to get it done while my dollhouse parts are drying and finally get some pictures up.

No comments:

Post a Comment