Wednesday 16 October 2013

Rewigging Peyton

I finally got around to rewigging Peyton today (YAY!), and I'm going to show you how I did it just in case you ever want to rewig one of your dolls.
Before I start I will say, particularly if you've never done this before DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU'RE SURE YOU WANT TO! Seriously. There's a good chance you will ruin the original wig in the process and even if you don't, it may never be quite the same again. Don't take the wigs off unless you know you won't be heartbroken if the original wig ends up unusable!
I don't recommend using any kind of solvents on vinyl. Why? Because a lot of vinyls will absorb solvents, and whilst there may be no visible effects at the time, often  they will cause the vinyl to degrade faster than it otherwise would. So if I'm not sure I don't use it.
I also don't recommend using craft knives to cut away the glue. It's tempting, but there's also a very realistic danger of slipping and ending up with the blade buried in the doll's face, or your hand.

I use a teaspoon. Yep, a teaspoon. Not solvents, no water, no knives. Just a teaspoon. And it takes about twenty minutes.
Start by looking around the edge of the wig. Usually somewhere toward the back you'll see a loose spot.

Slowly (this is the slowest part) work the teaspoon under the loose spot.


Once you can get the tip of the teaspoon under the edge, start working it around to either side.


Getting to the point in the above photo is the slowest part. Once you're that far just keep going and soon you'll be here :


And once you're that far you can usually just pull the wig off.
And then you have this:


Just for fun once I had my bald Peyton, I tried on all the wigs I had on hand (three) and here are the results:

Brunette Peyton with a fringe that was apparently cut with a lawn mower.
Wig is Dark Brown Dani wig by Monique in size 6-7

Blonde Peyton. I can't decide if I love this look or hate it.
Wig is Luts wig CDW-21 in Sweety Gold in size 6-7

And of course red head Peyton. I know I love this!
Wig is Luts wig CDW-21 in Carrot in size 6-7

The next part is attaching the wig. I don't normally do this part. My Lark has been rewigged but because her wig is a size 6-6.5 it's very snug, so it can be styled and fiddled with, without any danger of falling off. This wig is a little bigger, and Peyton's head is a little smaller, so I decided to glue it down.

Firstly make sure you have a clean work surface and a damp cloth handy.
Then plait or bundle up the hair and turning the wig-cap inside out, stuff the hair inside.


This makes it easier to see what you're doing, and stops the hair from getting stuck under the wig, or getting glue in it.
Now put glue on the doll's head, not the wig. I used ordinary PVA. I wouldn't expect it to hold up to a child playing with a doll, but for my doll which won't be played with and will only be getting occasional gentle styling, it shouldn't matter. 


Don't be overly heavy handed with the glue. If you use too much it will seep through the wig cap and make a mess of the hair.
Next spread the glue over the doll's head with your finger.


Wipe away any excess with a damp cloth and clean your fingers before you put the wig on.
Position the wig by putting the front hairline where you want it and then working around to the rest of the wig.


Her hair is still tied back, now she is drying on a shelf. Make sure it's some where nobody is going to pick her up or knock her over until she's dry.

Once her wig has dried, I'll be making her a new dress. A girly, sparkly, party dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment