Thursday 3 October 2013

Arden's Gatsby Smock Dress

Arden (Kish Olivia) with her Heidi Ott doll.


 This is my first dress for the twelve inch dolls. 
Please excuse the clumsy hem. With every dress I make, I swear that I will make the next one with the sewing machine but for some reason I keep making them all by hand which does tend to result in slightly ugly hems.
For some reason the Olivia sculpt, combined with the cloud of blonde hair makes me think of more decadent times, so I wanted to do something period in lush fabric. I suspect you might be seeing this particular doll in a lot of period or character outfits on this blog. 
A short 1920s style smock dress, that I made in some kind of synthetic velvet. (One of the problems with using found fabrics is that you rarely know exactly what you're working with.) The yoke is very shallow and the skirt is very short. Lengthening the skirt, if you want to, shouldn't be too hard. Luckily the lace I chose to trim the dress almost exactly matches the underpants Olivia Primavera comes in, so even if her skirt rides up, her pants at least match.

Arden demonstrates why a lot of older people refer to this 
style of dress as a "Pantie Dress"

Start by lining the yoke pieces, if you're using velvet or thick fabric, line with a thin cotton, taffeta or lining fabric. Sew the fabrics together along the neckline and back opening, turn in the right way, if using lace, tack in place now. Then turn under raw edges along sleeve edges and sew together.
Gather the skirt pieces onto the yoke pieces.
Sew the side seams and hem the armhole edges on the skirt.
Hem the skirt and back edges. 
And finish back opening.
Lastly add a trim to the yoke, if you like. I'm not happy with the trim on this dress, but the trim I wanted, I couldn't find anywhere! I wanted little silk flowers that usually when I'm looking for trims, every shop I go to has. This time when I was actually looking for them, the only ones I could find were apple green.
Arden hopes nobody can tell that her headband is actually a bracelet!

 You look upwards a lot when your dress is trimmed with a rosette as big as your head.
 All we need now is a voice to whisper something completely random in french. . . um. . .  "Fenetre"
and Arden can have her own perfume advertisement!
Arden gives me puppy eyes in the hopes I won't put the 
little doll back in the dollhouse.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment