Thursday 28 January 2016

Update

 Wow, I hadn't realised how long it had been since I updated this thing! Truth is, I just haven't had time for sewing. We've got a nine month old miniature human now and I never realised how much of your time those manage to eat until we got one. I'm considering abandoning this blog for a more general one but haven't quite decided for sure yet. . . That's a lie. I've totally already decided that, I just can't think of a name for it yet.

 Since I last posted I finally got a Piper! I caved and bought Big Sis Piper. At the moment I'm in the process of deciding on a wig for her, poor girl has been sitting there scalped for about a year now! There's a couple of Dollmore wigs I would like her to wear (Dollmore is my favourite company for wigs) but the two that I want for her always seem to be out of stock. So I'm going to have to choose from my own stash until something I like more is available. With our current circumstances (babies being cheaper to get but more expensive to maintain than dolls) I probably won't be able to add a Bethany to my collection, but I'm not overly sure I mind. I'm not sure I want one. I don't dislike her, I think she's cute, but I look at pictures of Bethany and think "Oh, cute" rather than "I want that."

 My dollhouse still isn't finished. But it only needs the roof tiling to be finished and the roof to be stained.

 My Dollmore Zihu has had her face-up finished, her eyes inserted and she has a wig. . . but I haven't finished her body blushing yet. I love her eyes! They're by Ersa Flora and quite striking. Originally I got her 14mm eyes because that was the recommended size, but they were too big. The irises completely filled the eye cavity and they looked wrong so I had to get a pair in 12mm instead. I think probably 14mm was the recommended eye size for all the Narsha size dolls and didn't take into account that Zihu's eye cavities are smaller than the other dolls in the series. Either way the website now recommends 14 OR 12mm eyes. I'm not completely happy with her wig. Firstly it's a synthetic mohair, which concerns me. Mohair doesn't fare too well where I live, this is one of the reasons I'm so willing to rewig my dolls. It gets boofy and unkempt very quickly. My mother tells me it's because the Melbourne climate is too damp in Winter and too humid in Summer, I'm not a hundred per cent sure that this is true, but it sounds very reasonable. But I'm not sure whether synthetic mohair will do better than actual mohair. I can only wait and hope. It was a nightmare trying to find a wig for her. I had a pretty simple list of demands - a blonde wig, with curls, in a quality I was happy with. But I'm pretty fussy with wigs. I don't like the individual fibres to be too thick because then the effect is similar to a human wearing hair made from fibre optic strands. I wanted the blonde to be realistic, not too white or too yellow. But the curls were the hardest part. So many curly doll wigs have curls that are unrealistically wide which annoys me. Nobody wears their hair in curls that are thicker than their arms. But the other problem was that almost all of the wigs with suitable curls had dead straight fringes which looks unnatural and odd to me.

Still haven't made anything for my Glinda Patience to wear. Mostly because I can't decide what to make her. Wanted to make her a dress like Merida's in Brave but couldn't find any suitable fabric. Then thought maybe I could dress her as Jo from Little Women and Alice could be Amy even in her Alice dress. But I didn't have suitable shoes for Glinda to wear and I was worried they'd look too sameish. Then I came up with about fifteen different ideas of what to make for her and couldn't decide which one to make so I had a quiet nervous breakdown and put the whole "making something for Glinda" project to one side for the time being.

 I've also got a Luts bjd put away for some day. Actually it's one doll and three heads. Originally bought that way because I wanted to be able to play around doing face-ups, and planned on buying bodies for the two extra heads later on down the line. But now it's probably going to be a body with three heads forever. I got those during the 2014 summer event (one of the heads is the free event head) and I still haven't had time to even open the box!

Will try to either update with pictures soon OR update with details of new blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment