Friday 23 May 2014

A tiny face and a big house.

  Lately rather than sewing my attention has been fixed on doing my first bjd face-up and getting more work done on my dollhouse. I'm doing the face-up slowly, ridiculously slowly and I know it. I'll do a thin coat of pastels, spray with Mr Super Clear and then I'll leave it. Not until the spray dries, not even a couple of hours, but for days.
 I'm doing it this way for a couple of reasons. Firstly I don't want to rush myself and get either overly cocky or overly anxious - that is how I make mistakes. Secondly, I get crazy ideas when I'm working to do things I hadn't planned to do and I want to give myself time to think over whether they're necessary or a good idea or not. . . usually they're not. Thirdly I'm enjoying it, so I want it to take longer.
  Probably the biggest problem I'm having with it is lighting. The face looks very different depending on the light. In some lights it looks almost finished. In other lights it hardly looks started.

Dollmore Zihu under natural light.

Dollmore Zihu under warm electric light.

 How much more work her face needs, I'm not sure yet but she still needs lower eyelashes and I want to neaten her lips with a coat or two of water colours, and I want a little more shading on her upper eyelids. Other than that, I'm still undecided but throwing up a couple of ideas in my head.

The dollhouse is finally at a point where the end is in sight. I spent all day yesterday trimming and gluing in cornices (and I'm glad that's over!) and most of the interiors still need finishing touches and tidying up. There's only one set of french doors left to go in, which would have gone in on Tuesday, except I never bought handles for them so they're waiting for those to arrive. And then all that needs to be done is the roofing, railings for the balconies, a latticework trim around the foundation and the front stairs!
 Of course then all of the roof needs to be covered in thousands of tiny individual cedar shingles. . . but I'm trying not to think about that.
But it's starting to look like a real house, both inside and out, which is exciting!
It was turned the wrong way to be able to get a shot of the exterior today (and it weighs a tonne so I didn't want to turn it around) but I got a couple of interior shots. Not of the lounge though. . . the floor in the lounge is dusty and there are wood shavings and little balls of paper towel through it, and a sink lying on it's side; making it look like an abandoned derelict building.

 Blue and white kitchen. Taken on a weird angle because 
if I bent down the dog tried to climb on my knee and lick my face.

 The library. In the plans this is a bedroom but I wanted a library.
Taken from a weird angle so you can't see the gaping hole in the wall
where the roof will be.

A little of the derelict building feel. This is supposed to be a bathroom
but I decided to make it a bedroom, and the house only has running water
in the kitchen. (There isn't actual running water in the kitchen, it's imaginary 
running water, if that doesn't sound completely insane.)

One thing I've found interesting building the house is how I react to cutting myself. If you build a house from a plywood kit you will need to trim pieces sometimes, and you will cut yourself. And I will point out that every single time I have cut myself it has been just after I've thought "I really shouldn't be doing this this way, if I slip I'm going to cut myself." so it's my own fault. 
 But at first if I cut myself, I would inspect the wound, get a band-aid and if it was bad, for the rest of the day I would pull the band-aid off every hour or so to check on the wound. Now if I cut myself my only thought is to get a band-aid on as quickly and tightly as possible and then to spend the rest of the day checking the house for signs of blood! I think I could sever a finger and so long as I didn't bleed on the wallpaper, I really wouldn't care, I would just keep building.

That's all for now. Hopefully I'll still have enough fingers to type with for a while yet, but I can't promise anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment